Thursday, March 26, 2009

Small Town Girl Meets Big-ish City

It had to happen sometime. I knew that I would eventually have to step out of my small-town comfort zone and enter the Big City Girl mentality. Public Relations is not generally a field that can be easily pursued in the small-town atmosphere.

For those of you who are curious as to just how small-town I'm talking, well I'm talking total population of roughly 6,764. We are the Dairy Capital of Georgia, and I lived 15 miles away from the nearest "city." The biggest claim to fame our city boasts is that it was the birth place of Alice Walker and Joel Chandler Harris.

Now that you have a better understanding of my background you may be better able to appreciate my apprehension about moving (alone I might add) to Atlanta. I have had a stepping stone in my journey towards big-citydom, which is Athens, GA. Home of the Bulldogs, the Classic City, the perfect place for small town people to get away from small town talk (although some get a bit carried away with their new found freedom).

But graduation came all too quickly and here I am again looking to relocate. Except this time I need bigger than Athens. I need as big as Georgia has to offer...and that's why I need Atlanta. One of the main reasons I've decided that I must relocate to the Big City (big-ish really, let's be honest it's no NYC) in pursuit of a reliable, full-time, benefit-paying, dream-fulfilling J-O-B. It has become increasingly apparent on most of the positions I have applied for that the employers post statements such as "local residents only," "no relocation," and "must be within in 15 miles to be considered."

Comments such as those, coupled with the advice of everyone I've worked with/talked to here in Atlanta is what has led me to my decision to make the big move (much to my small-town parents' distress).

However, do not fear! The small-town girl in me is still alive and well, and has swayed my big-city dreams to settle in a small-town environment within the city. Vinings is a quaint little area of Atlanta located near Smyrna with a population of 9,677. A bit larger than my small-town roots, but still small enough to keep that part of me satisfied.

I'm very excited about the move and about the opportunities that may arise as a result. Keep me posted on any job openings you may hear of or any fun things to do in the area! Big City here I come :)

No comments: