Friday, July 11, 2008

Blogging Blogs



Over the past several weeks I have been working with eight other individuals to promote our campaign, Countdown to Kickoff.

At first we did the usual research, business visits and planning. Now we have gotten into the really exciting aspect… the actual implementation of our PR plan.

As a PR student, nothing is more exciting to me than actually DOING what I have been learning over the past 3 years. And so I was eager to play my role in the process of pitching media, etc.

I was assigned to pitch several bloggers in an attempt to have them mention our event in their blogs. As I was researching each individual blogger it became painfully apparent how pitiful my own blog is in comparison to these blogging gods!

As I looked further into the world of blogging I couldn’t help but notice that my own peers seem to be more in tune with the way the blogosphere should work than I am.

Perhaps my hectic schedule is a decent excuse for my negligent behavior towards my blog with my juggle of work, class, keeping the apartment clean, the puppy and my ever-so-important social life. However this excuse does not quite work, especially when looking at the blogs of my multi-tasking professors, Karen Russell and Kaye Sweetser, who put me to shame with their brilliant blogs.

So this is my desperate cry for blogging help! Paul Young gave me a great resource to begin with, but further input would be great.

Common Questions I ask myself about blogs:


  • What in the world do I write about?

  • When I write, how do I keep from looking like an idiot?

  • How do I make my blog more aesthetically pleasing and usable?

These are just a few of the questions that plague my mind as I sit down to blog. With my newfound appreciation of how great and useful blogs can be, I would really like to become more proactive with my own.

2 comments:

k said...

I admit I am not the most *regular* blogger, though I used to be ... ;)

On the 'is this important' anxiety that goes along with typing a post, you have to just DO IT. Don't type if for an audience ... do it for yourself. As a way to remember a particular site or tool ... don't care about what other people will think is interesting because then you'll really probably never blog.

Try to write one post a week. On anything that fits your topic. Some posts will be amazing, & others just okay.

But that in itself is okay! Have fun with it!

Karen Miller Russell said...

Check out my post from today. There are a couple of links to new posts on getting started in social media and on creating good content. http://www.teachingpr.org/teaching_pr/2008/07/the-weeks-best-for-pr-students-14-july-2008.html

Hope it helps. :)